Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fugates of Kentucky: Skin Bluer than Lake Louise

 I've heard rumors that it was possible to have blue skin, but I never really took them seriously. This article convinced me that this actually is a true condition that has troubled the Fugate family for years. Relatives described Luna Fugate as "blue all over," and "the bluest woman I ever saw." Luna's great grandson was born blue as well. The Fugate stories begin with Martin Fugate who migrated from France in 1820 and was said to be blue. He married someone who also had the gene, and four of their seven children were blue. This genetic condition is called methemoglobinemia; it is a very recessive gene strengthened though intermarriage. This blue skin tint can also be caused by exposure to chemicals such as benzocaine and xylocaine. There is not a lot to say about this article, but I guess it's a fair warning against intermarriage. I kind of cringed at their bad luck, but I just hope this family was able to find some sort of normal instead of being gawked at their entire lives.


"Fugates of Kentucky: Skin Bluer than Lake Louise." Yahoo! Web. 26 Feb. 2012. <http://gma.yahoo.com/fugates-kentucky-skin-bluer-lake-louise-200247843--abc-news.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment