Wednesday, February 22, 2012

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did

 Okay, this one really creeped me out. Target can now figure out if you are pregnant based on what items you buy. A computer figuring out intimate details of your life? The singularity is not far off! In fact Target sent a teenager coupons for baby clothes and cribs. Her dad called to complain, assuring them that such coupons were inappropriate for a teenage girl. Later when Target called to apologize to the man he admitted that he had just found out his daughter was in fact pregnant.

I'll admit it, this is brilliant. Incredibly creepy, but brilliant. I wonder if it's going to expand to all different types of consumers. Also, I wonder if all stores are going to start doing this. I hope not, I'm always one of this people that end up buying the weirdest things at grocery stores. I once left the store with instant coffee and a salmon fillet. Now what does that say about me?  Oh well, I guess creepiness aside this is a really good idea. Maybe soon Target will be able to know if you're pregnant before you do. . .

Hill, Kashmir. "How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 16 Feb. 2012. Web. 22 Feb. 2012. <http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment